Geeetech i3 Pro B ( 2015 series) Build Completed

chase

Geeetech i3 Pro B ( 2015 series) Build Completed

Post by chase » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:28 am

Hey all,

Here's yet another Geeetech i3 Pro B (2015 series) kit
Board is the 2560
- build completed 07/2016

I thought you all might like to see it as it is - before I add further mods to it.
Geeetech-i3-Pro-B.jpg
Geeetech i3 Pro B (2015 edition) Build completed 07/2016
Geeetech-i3-Pro-B.jpg (220.83 KiB) Viewed 9397 times
And my first two PLA prints:
First-two-Prints-in-PLA---i3-Pro-B.jpg
First-two-Prints-in-PLA---i3-Pro-B.jpg (124.67 KiB) Viewed 9397 times
Both prints where printed pre calibration of any kind. They printed to specs which was real nice to see checking them with a micrometer.
Both are RC related items.

The XT-60 Cap on the left was my first print which I printed on a cold bed using Blue Tape all default settings in Repetier and Slic3r.

The Motor Dremel guide on the right was printed directly on the glass with a heated bed @ 65/60C with some minor changes to the settings.

I purchased my Geeetech i3 Pro B locally a week before the new (2016) i3 Pro B was announced so mine still has the printed carriers but needless to say I'm really happy over all with my Pro B.

A few tips for those building one that I can think of off the cuff are:

1) Make sure you use the supplied washers. Using them prevents the cap screw heads and nuts from cutting into the acrylic.

2) Don't overtighten the screws/nuts especially when it comes to the acrylic. If you hear a craaack! you overtightened the screw and cracked the acrylic. go a quarter turn past hand tight or there about,

3) Use blue lock tight on the thread ends only. Don't get it on the acrylic it'll mar it. Use it very sparingly but use it. It doesn't take much but it will spare you the grief of having to go around and retighten all the screws every month or so.

4) Make sure you get things square from the start. Starting with the base as it states to do so in the build instructions. If you do, it just makes it that much more accurate in the end.

5) Hand polish all your Stainless rods and use a fine wax as a final to seal them. Once together use a dry lube on everything that slides or rolls. Like the threaded rods, bearings and where the threaded rod inserts into the acrylic on the Z axis or you'll hear a squeaking noise as the Z motors turn.

6) Use a M4x20mm Cap Screw for the X axis bearings for the X axis belt tensioner. The build instructions call for a M4x25mm Cap screw. If you use the M4x25mm with the cap to the outside, nut on the inside, it will scratch the acrylic all the way up the Z axis. This has been pointed out by another on YouTube and though he suggests to simply turn it around which will work. My suggestion is to use the correct cap screw length of 20mm. An M4x 22mm should be fine as well if you can't find a 20mm.

7) Install the Z axis couplings correctly. Both the motor shaft and the Z axis threaded rod should only be inserted into the coupling approximately a 1/4 inch. Up to the first cut line in the coupling. Re-Seat them if you see a wobble in the Z, you may or may not have a bent threaded rod on the Z axis. If one is way out - you may have a bent threaded rod. This is not uncommon and Geeetech will replace them. But check your coupling first.

8) If you find you have a bent threaded rod - buy it locally and cut it yourself. Mine came with both my threaded rods bent slightly. One worse than the other. And yes, Geeetech will replace them, but in my opinion, the chances of getting another bent rod seemed pretty high to me after going through all the hands and shipping all across the lands before it got to me. For less than $10US you can pick up a 1 meter/3 foot 8mm SS threaded rod and cut it yourself to length as I did. Just be sure to get a straight one. They ship to the suppliers in bundles - pick one from the center of the bundle. That'll be the straightest usually. And you'll have enough to cut a spare rod.

9) After you're done building the acrylic model - especially the black acrylic. You'll notice it has finger prints all over it. Black acrylic shows finger prints like nobodies business. Don't use household cleaner on the acrylic it'll cause crazing of the acrylic over time. Personally I use a pump spray cleaner that is safe for plastic lenses.

Other than the apparent common issue of the X and Y axis not lining up to the 200x200 bed lines at 0. As stated I'm really happy with my 3D printer.
In building it I came up with several mods, design changes, corrections to issues (like the X/Y axis zero position) which I plan on implementing in the very near future.
As well as a couple upgrades - like the All metal carrier upgrade which comes stock on the new 2016 i3 Pro B.
Dang if I had only waited a week!! lol

For the moment however - at least for a week or two. I'm going to enjoy it as it is.
Learn about the software and firmware in that time while figuring out what to print next...

Thanx Geeetech! I'm really enjoying my 3D printer!

- chase -

Toy
Site Admin

Re: Geeetech i3 Pro B ( 2015 series) Build Completed

Post by Toy » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:44 am

Thanks for your sharing, really good tips!

chase

Post by chase » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:20 am

Toy wrote:Thanks for your sharing, really good tips!
No problem.

Just thought I'd share something I just now discovered.
I took the time to make sure my build was square via a micrometer and a couple other ways. And here's were it paid off...

I knew I was real close to spot on after checking some measurements with a micrometer but I had no idea how close I was.
Being so close, I changed out the springs for .5 inch nylon standoffs which was my first intentional mod to the heat bed.

I just now checked my Y axis travel with a digital travel micrometer that measures to 1/100ths of a mm. (0.00mm) after putting in the four corner standoffs.
Travel on the Y registered 0.00. So for the goof, I checked it with a analog dial travel micrometer that goes down to 1/1000ths of an inch.
I'm off by approx 0.0005 on one side... which could be attributed to the glass thickness or something. Which in my opinion is pretty dang close to perfect for a DIY 3D printer built on a table cluttered with other gear if I do say so myself. :D

Once I set my X axis height on the front two corners I was done. I have zero travel all across the heat bed on both the X and Y axis. Well... 0.0005 on one side pf the Y.

Which says a lot for Geeetech, because if the parts were off even by 0.001mm I would never see this kind of accuracy.

So I can't reiterate enough to make sure that your build is square from the get go. I mean spot on. It does pay off in the end.

With this finding I can now go ahead with the rest of my heat bed mod. Most of which follows the RepRap MK2 installation suggestions as well as a few of my own additional mods to help prevent warping/cupping of the pcb.

Sorry if I rambled on but I'm really stoked right now after seeing these measurements... especially using standoffs.

I'm stoked enough I think I'm going to do happy feet dance... :D lol

- chase -

chase

Post by chase » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:25 am

In case there are any doubting Thomas's here's some shots of my first printing(s) last night after installing the standoffs on the heat bed.

First full print being printed using the Geeetech stock heat bed install using standoffs in replacement of all 4 leveling springs .
(All prints printed using Geeetech Purple PLA 1.75 Filament.)
1st-Print-using-Heat-Bed-Standoffs.jpg
1st Print using Heat Bed Standoffs
1st-Print-using-Heat-Bed-Standoffs.jpg (134.74 KiB) Viewed 9359 times
Getting the first layers right - 3 layers @ 0.1mm with a 1st layer of 0.2mm.
My average throughout these two 3 layer pieces placed on either side of the heat bed fluctuated between 0.39mm and .40mm.
First-3-Layers-Check.jpg
Checking the First Layers with a Micrometer. Spot on!
First-3-Layers-Check.jpg (85.24 KiB) Viewed 9359 times
First print of a Nautilus Gear cooling after print completion. Nice clean single shell brim line @ 0.1mm.
First-Print-cooling-on-Heat-Bed.jpg
First Print Cooling after completion
First-Print-cooling-on-Heat-Bed.jpg (136.52 KiB) Viewed 9359 times
And just incase you'd like to see it - here's the first full print off the board.
1st-Print-Nautilus-Gear.jpg
First Print Nautilus Gear prior to clean up.
1st-Print-Nautilus-Gear.jpg (81.03 KiB) Viewed 9359 times
Other than changing layer heights - I pretty much ran these prints at default settings in Repetier/Slic3r.
No firmware or calibration changes...

Granted I noted I still have some adjustments to make to the first layer as far as speed goes.
And yes, I've still have a slight Z wobble which has to be adressed.
But as these pictures show... and the point of showing them. Is if you take your time and square the frame up.
Make sure your rods are straight. You can print level with out the leveling springs needed.
And getting it right, starts at the very beginning of the build for all the Geeetech 3D Printers... Not just my i3 Pro B.

The frames are CNC'd... which obviously is spot on as well.

It can be done... proofs in the images above. And I've printed out 5 more pieces since last night with the same results...
and yeah I'm happy! :D

Take your time - do it right - that's my best tip to all that are building a Geeetech 3D Printer.

- chase -