Linear advance, extruder very noisy

DzzD

Re: Linear advance, extruder very noisy TMC2208

Post by DzzD » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:44 am

Ok I may have found the problem between LA and TMC2208 in another forum, seems the solution is to change mode TMC2208 mode to SpreadCycle via OTP or using UART mode... I lack of motvation to do that now...

Here are the sources :

https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/Marli ... -402426130
...As per TMC: rapid changes in the motor velocity cause back EMF spikes that confuse the driver when in StealthChop2 mode and it shuts down. Switching to SpreadCycle should fix the problem....
And the answer :

https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/Marli ... -403590902
...I now changed my E Stepper TMC2208 to SpreadCycle mode (over OTP) and this has solved the Problem. Looks like as @crzcrz said that he 2208 cant handle the high and rapid acceleration changes....
Seems possible to be a the same problem and may be the right solution solution, as at the moment when extruder stop, I can clearly eard a little "tic" sound.

DzzD

Re: Linear advance, extruder very noisy

Post by DzzD » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:40 am

I ve never seen a method to set spread cycle by soldering jumper, could you be more precise please ? as I only know about the OTP method via serial

DzzD

Post by DzzD » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:20 am

Thanks, unfortnunatly that seems to applied only for TMC2100 :
https://learn.watterott.com/silentsteps ... ould-i-use

I've ordered the USB connector (FTDI FT232RL) to program the TMC2208 via OTP, I should receive it tomorrow.

DzzD

Post by DzzD » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:45 pm

Before permanently modify my extruders steppers drivers with OTP, I will try to use stepper driver protectors (AKA TL smoother), as they are intended to avoid backcurrent from the stepper maybe Linear Advance will works fine with them.

I will give feedbacks.

https://www.amazon.fr/imprimante-Access ... ast_bbp_dp
https://www.reprap.me/ultra-silent-prot ... inter.html

DzzD

Post by DzzD » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:05 pm

Ok but I want to use them to avoid back current not to improve quality. Linear advance seems to send back current that stop the extruder, with thoses diodes there should not be back current anymore, and if it is not working for linear advance, at least that will protect my mother board when I manually move the axis.

DzzD

Post by DzzD » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:04 am

Steppers motors protectors (aka TL smoother) does not help, extruders still stop when printing with linear advance enabled.

Setting extruders TMC2208 in SpreadCycle mode via OTP works ! and they are not a lot noisier, perfect !

Also I have upgrade both extruder with dual geared one (original CR10S-PRO extruder), extrusion is now really really nice and reliable.

A good thing is that dual gear extruders (CR10S pro original) are compatible with the A20M and only requiere 2mm spacer (stl model attached to this post).

For those extruders in Marlin, set 140 step/mm.

The only downside is that those extruders are not really cheap...
Attachments
ExtrudersSpacers.zip
(83 KiB) Downloaded 551 times
ExtrudersSpacers.jpg
ExtrudersSpacers.jpg (69.19 KiB) Viewed 20299 times

Jarda3d

Post by Jarda3d » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:13 am

Mixing extruder need more force than non-geared driver should do. Or you will print toooooooo slow.
A10M Slic3r profile: here and fresh on github (lot of tips here)
A10 Slic3r profile: here
TIP: tight all screws and wheels (except right side of Z axis) and re-align frame while assembly. And silence it.

DzzD

Post by DzzD » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:35 pm

Mixing extruder need more force than non-geared driver should do. Or you will print toooooooo slow.
I did not have any issue for now, I can even use 60mm/s retractation speed, both extruders TMC2208 stepper drivers have been set to Spreadcycle (more torque) with a Vref of 0.95, and with dual geared I am sure the fillament do not slip.

The main speed I use for printing is 70mm/s (lower for outer shell and top layers) and 0.3mm layer height and the prints are very neat, I will share some printed objects pictures.

Also, I Have to mention that I removed the metal disc (valve) from the throat of the heat block as suggested by Vert.

3DAngel

Post by 3DAngel » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:33 pm

Following.
Unless I am missing something, I still cannot get the Ozze strainging off from my prints....
disks are off
Retraction seemed to be non effect
Temp for play lowered to 185c travel to 200......
I can see that the pressure is still squeezing out filament when retraction and travel to the purge bucket causing looooong strainging..... :x
any suggestion.....
Thanks

DzzD

Post by DzzD » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:57 pm

I can see that the pressure is still squeezing out filament when retraction and travel to the purge bucket causing looooong strainging..... :x
All Purge Bucket script I have found was not working well (especially tool retractation), so I had to make my own and everything work well now.

Here is a the script I use and which perform nice retraction on tool change:

Code: Select all

;; Start custom tool change script
M211 S0;
G92 E0 ; Reset extrusion distance on old too
G1 E-6 F1800 ; Retract filament
G92 E0 ; Reset extrusion distance on old too
G91 ; Switch from absolute positioning to relative positioning
G1 Z1 F1000 ; Lift nozzle by 1 mm in relative positioning mode
G90 ; Return to absolute positioning
G1 X-9.5 F[travel_speed] ; Go to X=-9.5 at 100 mm/sec
T[new_tool]
G92 E0 ; Reset extrusion distance on new tool
G1 E40 F180 ; Extrude x mm of filament at 3 mm/s on new tool
G1 E50 F60 ; Extrude slower (release pressure)
G92 E0 ; Reset extrusion distance on new tool
G1 E-6 F1800 ; Retract filament 
G1 X[next_position_x] Y[next_position_y] F[travel_speed] ; Move to next position on print
G1 Z[next_position_z] F1000 ; Move to next position Z on print 
G1 E0 F1800 ; Un-Retract filament 
G92 E0 ; Reset again extrusion distance
M211 S1
;; End custom tool change script
Also, you MUST set "Tool change retraction distance" to 0 (disabled) in the "Other" tab
Attachments
ToolRetraction.JPG
ToolRetraction.JPG (16.44 KiB) Viewed 20370 times